SOIL BLOCK RECIPES
Below are the recipes I use to make the 2″ Mini and 4″ Maxi blocks used for seed starting.
The 3/4″ Micro blocks require a different mixture found HERE.
MINI OR MAXI BLOCK RECIPE
You'll need to gather the following tools prior to your project:
large bushel-sized wheelbarrow or other container for mixing;
"bucket" which measures 10-quarts (1 bucket) and 5-quarts (half bucket);
trowel or other mixing implement;
sifting screen made with 1/4" hardware cloth
2 & 4" MINI OR MAXI BLOCK MIXTURE
- Note: all ingredients should be screened to 1/4" before measuring and adding to the mix.
- 1 ½ buckets brown peat or half peat moss/half coco peat.
- 2 cups base fertilizer (*See below)
- 1/4 cup lime (powdered)
- 1 bucket perlite
- 1 bucket compost, thoroughly decomposed.
- ½ bucket good garden soil. (Or more compost.)
BASE FERTILIZER Mix all ingredients together well.
- 1/2 cup blood meal, feather meal, cotton seed meal, shrimp or crab meal or alfalfa meal.
- ½ cup colloidal phosphate (soft rock phosphate)
- ½ cup greensand
- ½ cup glacial rock dust or mined rock dust
- Mix together the Base Fertilizer and set aside.
- Screen the peat to 1/4" and measure into mixing container.
- Add the 2 cups Base Fertilizer and 1/4 cup lime and mix thoroughly.
- Add the screened perlite. Mix.
- Add the screened compost. Mix.
- Add the screened garden soil. Mix thoroughly.